Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Jessica's Top 20 Beauty Products for 2011


Marie Claire, among other publications, does a "Top Products" list every year. Here's my version. Please share your own top beauty product for the year! 

Hair


Redkin Scalp Relief: The minute the weather turns chilly, my scalp gets as dry as my cuticles. This shampoo is a lifesaver, and I don't even have to use it every day. It also doesn't dry out my hair like Head and Shoulders does.
A good round brush: I rarely have to use a hair straightener because I blow dry my hair using a round brush and a little patience. I recommend correlating the size of your brush to the length of your hair--I have long hair, and find myself getting frustrated with the smaller brushes. 
A paddle brush: After my hair is dry, I turn the dryer on cool and run a paddle brush through my hair. It calms the frizzies (my hair does not handle extra product well) and sets the style.
Redken Clear Moisture Instant Polishing Prep: Just like the detangling spray you used when you were 8. This one also smells yummy. It does a grown-up job of not making my hair greasy and taming flyaways if I've curled my hair.


Face


Clinique Rinse-Off Foaming Cleanser: I've had a struggle finding the right cleanser for my skin. I've been wandering around like Goldilocks; none of them were quite right. I received a sample of this cleanser as a bonus with a mascara purchase, tried it, and LOVED it.
Nivea for Men Revitalizing Face Scrub: I use this every 3 days and it is something I can't live without now. James gets mad when I sneak it into my bathroom, but I clean the kitchen so he can deal with it. I don't know if there are fewer chemicals because it is a men's formula or I just have a manly complexion, but it works.
Clinique Acne Solutions Oil-Control Cleansing Mask: When I tried Proactive, they had a spot treatment mask that was the bee's knees. This mask is a similar product. If I have a blemish, I dab a bit on and leave it for a few minutes (or overnight with a thin layer). POOF! Any issue is on its way to clear.
Clinique Moisture Surge: This is the moisturizer for those who really don't moisturize. This includes me. I have a propensity to shine, and hate when my skin feels greasy. This magic stuff is oil-free and feels like I splashed water on my face. 
  

Color


Burt's Bees Tinted Lip Balm: Yum. Pretty. Easily lost but cheap to replace. 'Nuff said! My favorite is Hibiscus, it's a lazy way to wear lipstick.
Almay Smart Shade Makeup: I have already extolled the virtues of this product; it is still one of my favorite makeup products ever.
Clinique Colour Surge Eye Shadow Super Shimmer: Sadly, my favorite eyeshadow shade has been discontinued (I found out last month when I went to restock, *tear*) but this shade is similar. 
MAC Eye Shadow: Rather than a black smokey eye, I use this Espresso shade to do a day-friendly smokey eye. I get compliments on it when I pull it off, and I find the MAC stays where it's put. 
Mary Kay Liquid Eyeliner: One of my best friends' moms is a Mary Kay sales rep, and gave me some product as a belated birthday present last year. Among the swag was liquid eyeliner, and I've had an interesting experience with it. While I had to put in some practice time getting the technique down, it definitely makes a statement. For low-fuss days I stick to my stick, but when I need a confidence boost or am dressing up, I take the time to do this stuff. Try it, it's worth it! 
Clinique High Impact Mascara: I got this as a sample when I bought the mask, and was an immediate convert. To the point where I'd give up my Almay and MAC to keep this mascara. Seriously, don't make me stop buying it... 

Body


Aveeno Daily Moisturizing Body Wash: My go-to body wash. My mom swears by all of their products, face and body. I like this plain wash because I mix it with...
Burt's Bees Citrus & Ginger Body Wash: I told you kids, I love ginger! I like both these products, and use a little of each of on my loofah.
Giovanni Cool Mint Lemonade Salt Scrub: Two of my 37 favorite scents, in one luxurious scrub. It will clear your sinuses and your scaly bits. 
Jergens Shea Butter Lotion: Jergens has been around forever; I am sure everyone's grandma has a little bottle of hand lotion in their purse. I can't argue with an institution. I like the Shea Butter, but the Ultra Healing is a close second.
Revlon False Eyelashes: I was Magenta for one of my Halloween costumes this year, and the makeup requires a double set of fake lashes. I had never worn them before, and was stunned to see what an impact they made on my peepers. I have been using them since then for date nights and whatnot. I know there are other brands, but Revlon works for me.
Essie Nail Polish: Kellie is a self-proclaimed OPI snob, but I own a breakfast club of nail polish brands. I love Essie, especially when it comes free with my hair products. I had to include my foray into the greige trend in this list. I went with a plum-taupe color called Mink Muffs that I plan to layer under black glitter for my 12-30 birthday celebration.

No comments:

Post a Comment