Friday, December 16, 2011

Gift Guide: For a Dad

Gift Guide: For a Dad 
One might say I take the easy route when it comes to buying gifts for my dad because I get him the same thing almost every year. But I'd like to say we have a long-standing gift-giving tradition. And I might also be lazy and prefer taking the easy route. Maybe. From left to right: 

1. Calendar: A few years ago Dad asked me for a Far Side calendar to hang in his office. Every year since then I have bought him a calendar. Over the years he has received Simpsons, Three Stooges and Irish countryside calendars, but I don't know what the theme is going to be this year. Any ideas? 

2. Coffee gift card: My dad loves his coffee much, much more than I love mine. Naturally a perfect gift for him is a gift card to either Dunkin' Donuts or Starbucks.




3. Music: For as long as I can remember my dad and I have bonded over a shared love of music. As a kid we listened to Creedence Clearwater, Tom Petty, Jimmy Buffet and Ten Thousand Maniacs together. I don't see him as much anymore since I live five hours away, but if I find a record that I think he'll enjoy, I burn a copy and bring it home with me. I think the album he has enjoyed the most so far was The 59 Sound by the Gaslight Anthem. Probably because they sound a lot like The Boss ...

4. Books: Dad and I love to discuss books just about as much as we love to listen to music. It's a shame he didn't go to college because he is sharp as a tack, I used to bounce ideas off of him all of the time when I was in high school. Over the years we have had discussions about Stephen King's On Writing, Jack Kerouac's On the Road (my FAVORITE book!), Roald Dahl's Omnibus and J.D. Salinger's Catcher in the Rye.

5. Jumbo remote: My dad can't be the only one who flies into a RAGE when the remote control for the television goes missing. I probably learned most of the profanity that I know today from those episodes. Ahh, memories ...

6. The Simpsons Movie: Dad loves the Simpsons and he didn't own the Simpsons movie. Seemed like a no-brainer.

What gift-giving traditions do you have with members of your family or significant others? Speaking of significant others, my next gift guide will be gifts for a sailor!

xo, Kellie

More 2011 Gift Guides:

No comments:

Post a Comment