Thursday, July 28, 2011

Elephants & Owls Home Edition
Part II: Kellie's Bathroom


Watch just about any episode of MTV Cribs, and no matter whose house it is that they're showing, the host will usually walk into their master bedroom and exclaim "this is where the magic happens!" To that I say nay. Every morning I wake up looking like an extra from a George Romero movie, wander into the bathroom, and within 30 to 45 minutes can make myself look presentable enough to walk out my front door. So I argue that it is, in fact, the bathroom where the magic happens.


It was probably a combination of the closet and the bathroom that really sold this apartment for me. I mean, I could rent out the closet as a second bedroom, and the bathroom has his and hers sinks and a garden tub!! I started buying for the bathroom prior to moving, and the first thing I bought were some decorative shower curtain hangers that had a sandy texture to them. Once I found a blue paisley shower curtain and blue bath mat at Target, my color scheme came together. I wanted colors that were male-friendly since it is not just me living in this apartment. (I have to constantly remind myself of this to avoid overwhelming Matt with too many feminine touches. Or owls.) I decided to go with a loosely beachy theme, with blueberry and sand being the main colors.


I added small beach-side touches with a "tiki bar" sign and pukka shells that were both acquired at events that I catered on the wall to the left of the sink, and a shell and rope wall decoration that I picked up from Marhalls on the wall to the right of the sink. I also found marble toothbrush holders at Marhsalls for $6, and the bathroom even came with built-in sandy accents in the form of four decorative tiles in the shower.


My one complaint about this bathroom is that the towel rack is mounted above the toilet, and is only big enough for one towel. For one thing, I don't want the towels I dry myself off with hanging above the toilet, and for another thing, I myself use two towels, so I need to have space to hang three of them. I used hooks that have traveled with me from five residencies ago to hang our towels on the back of the door. I think I picked up these Target quick-dry towels for $5 or $6, but I highly recommend washing them before using them, because they get fuzz everywhere.

The next home edition post will be after Matt gets back from deployment next week, I have to put him to work hanging curtains before I can post part three. Off to do some internet window shopping!

xo, Kellie

No comments:

Post a Comment