The building that I work in hosts quite a few job fairs, both for the university we are located at and through other companies and organizations. I am constantly amazed at the way some people dress for these job fairs! The very first impression that you make upon a potential employer is with your appearance, so you need to present yourself in a way that shows you are ready to be employed.
For a job interview, DO:
- Wear a skirt or dress that hits just above the knee
- Wear tailored black or gray trousers
- Wear a low heel
- Pull your hair back from your face
- Hide any visible tattoos, if possible
For a job interview, DO NOT:
- Wear jeans
- Wear a low-cut top or short skirt or dress
- Wear too much makeup, perfume or jewelry
- Wear jeans (I feel this needs to be said twice)
- Wear flip flops (flats can also be iffy, many pairs look too casual)
Not only does dressing appropriately convey that you are serious about your job interview, it will also help to set you apart from others who did not dress for occasion, and it will also help to boost your self-confidence so that you can rock your interview!