Saturday, July 23, 2011

Elephants & Owls Home Edition
Part I: Kellie's Closet


One of our favorite fashion bloggers, Kendi, can and probably will out-dress Jessica and I every single day. She's just got a natural talent for everyday style that can't be competed with. The one thing I might be able to do better, however, is organizing! I looked to Kendi's working closet tips and Little Tin House for closet organizing ideas prior to moving, and once I got into the new apartment the closet was naturally the first room to be completed!

Starting from the right side of the closet:


Most of my shoes are displayed on the stacked shelves in the corner. Shoe overflow goes into a tray that came out of my footlocker that's stored on the shelf underneath all of my shirts.


Next to the shoes is a spot I left open to hang the next outfit that I plan on wearing. I like to plan my outfits ahead of time, especially work outfits, to avoid the last minute "I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO WEAR!" panic. Next to that is where I hang my favorite belts, and then comes my dresses and skirts. Dresses are organized by strapless, sleeveless and sleeved, and then within those three categories they are color organized. The skirts are also organized by color. Above all of that are my jeans, denim shorts, and non-denim shorts.


On the back wall of the closet are two racks of clothes. The top rack, from left to right, has tube tops, tank tops, regular tops, and button-down tops. The bottom shelf, from left to right, has capris, pants, cardigans, sweaters and cropped jackets. Naturally, everything within each category is color organized. On the top shelf is a small collection of hats I'll never wear but can't bear to get rid of. Once Matt gets back from deployment I'll add his to the collection so that they have friends to play with. 


Matt's section looks a bit sparse. I gave him my hanging shoe storage system since I had the shelves for my shoes and put his jeans and shorts on his top shelf to match mine. He swears he has more clothes and that he's picked up more while on deployment, but we'll have to wait and see whether they get my approval before anything is allowed to be hung up alongside my precious items! 


My purses are in a black basket that I picked up from Home Goods, and Sterilite containers below my skirts hold the rest of my belts, scarves, leggings and other various items that I didn't feel the need to display.

Moving into a new closet also gave me a chance to assess what's in my closet (Kendi has great things to say about this process) and pull items out that I no longer wear. I've also begun creating a running list of items I'd like to add to my closet.

Off to start working on part II of my E&O Home Edition. (That means I'm going to keep unpacking and decorating. Keep up, people.)

xo, Kellie

No comments:

Post a Comment