Saturday, July 28, 2012

A Wedding-Wear Challenge

purple dress - Target (buy) / maxi dress - Private Gallery (buy)
wedges - Target (buy left, buy right)
necklace - Piperlime

I'm back with Ali's second challenge! She needs something to wear to a wedding later this summer and asked me to make some suggestions. She's a fan of purple, coral and teal, all colors that go well together. 

I came up with two options for Ali: One knee-length dress, and one maxi dress. As someone who didn't even like maxi dresses for a couple of years, I know that they can be intimidating to style. However, I think they offer elegance in a very comfortable package. On the other hand, if you're looking to show some leg, knee length is the way to go for a wedding.

As someone who caters weddings on a regular basis, I feel like I can offer some expertise on the subject of wedding apparel. Here is my personal list of wedding-wear don'ts:
1. Don't wear white. Avoid cream, ivory, and any other form of off-white as well.
2. Don't wear black. It's depressing, and this is a day of celebration.
3. Do not wear anything that looks like it could be a bridesmaid's dress ... Unless you're a bridesmaid.
4. For the love of all that is good, DO NOT WEAR JEANS! Or shorts. Or mini skirts.

What you should do is wear something comfortable, especially if you're the dancing type. Bright colors are always great, especially for a spring or summer wedding. For this time of year I think open-toed shoes are perfect, especially with a maxi dress. (I don't think that closed-toe shoes should ever be worn with maxis!)

Added bonus: Both of the dresses that I chose will get plenty of wear after the wedding. The shorter dress can be worn to work with a pair of camel or black wedges, and the maxi dress paired with flip flops or gladiator sandals makes a perfect casual weekend dress!

xo, Kellie

No comments:

Post a Comment